12 September 2007

Something's...different.

The big news this week is that my nightly re-run of That One Show About The Four Single Gals in New York City has been replaced by...The Family Guy re-runs. While I applaud the decision of my local CW affiliate in this scheduling change, I really do wonder how they got from Sex in the City to The Family Guy. I mean, I did watch the former, and I do love the latter, and here are a few things I could say next: what kind of audience do they think they have that might carry over (apart from me); are they interested in a complete viewership update; and who cooked this up? A further wrinkle, as I write this: an ad for the SitC rerun just aired, at 11:21, claiming that the show is on every night of the week at 11:00. How very.

+ + +

Another change this week: the weather. Autumn is dropping some serious hints about what is to come. I love the cooler nights, the re-introduction of the blanket to the bed: all fine signs of fall. I've been out of school for some time now (6 years) but fall will always cue those back-to-school feelings. First, I feel like I need new clothes. Then, I want to buy a bunch of pens and notebooks. Finally, I settle into a soft melancholy about the passage of time, the loss of freedom, the narrowing of choices and chances that happens as one gets older. It's tough to believe that spring gets all the props for renewal and rebirth, when really it's autumn that actually holds promise, new beginnings, and the chance to be different this year. So many of my falls began with that thought--it'll all be different this year. Only a few of them were actually different.

And this morning the nostalgia was fierce, as I waited for my instant pod-pack of coffee to be pressed through its little pack-filter and into my cup (a step up from gas station coffee if ever there was one) and paused in unexpected remembrance of the first thing I ever ordered from Bob's Underground coffeehouse on my college campus my freshman year: one cafe au lait, from Theo Bott. That was a real new start, a real beginning, a real change.

Autumn and its fabulous, cooler, lovely sadder days. "Try to remember the kind of September when life was slow and oh, so mellow..."

+ + +

And just when you think you're a boring adult, your best girl moons you and unceremoniously announces that she's "in ur bedroom, doin' ur sudokus."

Turns out that since I didn't want to grow up, I pretty much didn't in a lot of ways.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shout outs to both The Fantasticks AND I Can Has Cheezburger in one post. Nicely done!
-Sara

10:30 AM  
Blogger poet~lover~rebel~spy said...

I can attest that brand new starts every fall are not all they are cracked up to be. There's got to be a balance in there somewhere. But today is definitely a chilly, sound of crunching leaves, smell of wood burning, wrapped in woolly sweater day in Berlin. Makes me want to sharpen pencils too.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home