01 July 2007

A problem.

My upstairs neighbour (male, single, late thirties/mid-forties?), heretofore known to me as The Muttering Barker, could now better be called The Keening Wailing Shouter. In the month that we've lived here, I'd seen and heard him talk to himself, bark at himself, twitch slightly, and shuffle step down the block. This morning he is moaning, keening, wailing, shouting, mewling, racing in and out of his upstairs apartment and the building, and (for the second Sunday of my notice) screaming "I Hate Life" occasionally.

I do not want to be ableist, and up to just this morning I'd thought maybe he had Tourette's or some similar mild ailment that allowed him to remain independent and high function, not a danger to himself or others. Not so sure now that he's not at least a danger to himself, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little hesitant to continue trying to say hello and good morning to him when I see him around the building or at the bus stop. Selfishly, this was at seven in the morning and I was trying to sleep.

Can, or should, I do anything, I wonder? My real worry is that he will hurt himself. Should I send my landlord a quiet emailed word of concern--"I think my upstairs neighbour may be having some troubles; do you have an emergency contact for him who may be able to check in on him or speak with him?" On first thought, this seems responsible and caring, and if my landlord knows about the tenant's condition he may be able to tell me that the tenant is not a danger to himself. Then again, my landlord may not know about the tenant's condition and I might be playing a small part in what could turn into housing discrimination if my landlord refuses the tenant's renewal. Calling the cops is obviously total overkill, and I also don't feel that approaching him myself to ask if he is okay is appropriate; additionally and frankly, I don't care to do so, given that his refrain on the way down the stairs about an hour and a half ago was in Q-and-A format and in two voices and involved "Why don't they just shut up? They should just shut up."

It's definitely a "where do my renter's rights end and his begin" kind of question. While I should be able to feel safe in my home, he should also be able to be safe to be himself in his home. But if he's not safe with himself--and secondarily, if I am not safe--is concern and action appropriate and if so, what action is proper?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

I think you should send the landlord an email or give him a call. I think too often people just ignore people with mental illness or are too polite to intervene when they are having trouble. Quirky behavior is one thing, disturbing behavior another. Besides, our landlord is reasonable and if you couch the inquiry in terms of "I'm concerned for his safety" I don't think it will interfere with this guy's status as a tenant. Also, feel free to call/email Dianne since she deals with legal issues regarding the menatally ill.

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home