14 June 2008

14 June

Today, we are 29. This is the "pushing 30" year, the one about which many people are giving me that look. That look that implies that somehow this is the last good year.

I hate that look.

They're wrong, of course. I'm really excited about getting older; my grey hair is coming in quite evenly; I'm in the best shape of my life; my parents are still alive. I love my career, even though I hate my current job, and I have high hopes for the next step, which could be here even before the calendar year closes. I love my friends, even though I live near so few of them right now. I have a comfortable, small, lived-in apartment with a well-edited collection of books that only just fill the shelves and homemade art on the walls. I like my neighborhood even if I don't like my city. I do what I want, mostly, and am looking forward to the next thing.

Not too shabby, I must say.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Nora!
-Sara

12:26 PM  
Blogger Jack Slowriver said...

Welcome back and happy birthday! I'd love more unalloyed self-indulgence. What are you doing this summer?

8:57 AM  
Blogger Nora Rocket said...

jacket RE what I'm doing - YOU'RE LOOKING AT IT. Ha.

No, but really. Working. Blogging. Sweating. Going to Peru in a few weeks. Missing your shindig, sadly!

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home